Friday, June 7, 2013

New Life School

Adventure day numero siete on June 7th! woooo! Today, we mainly wrapped up all the loose ends. I (Julia) started out my morning finishing up and printing care plans. The previous day, Christine, Anne, and I met Enselma, a woman who suffered from a stroke. Today, we got the chance to give her a new wheel chair, some socks, and a pair of tennis shoes so that she could have more stability when walking. The smile on her face is an image that I will never forget. Also, I was able to give away my Spanish book to a child. I gave it to a boy who is deaf. First I signed my name to him then read my book, signing the words I knew, while he read along. When I told him that he got to keep the book and take it home, the look on his face was as if I was joking. I told him again and he just smiled and smiled and smiled. :) It made my day!!! Stephanie and I (Anne) gave baskets to the first and second grade teachers that included suggestions and materials for using manipulatives in the classroom, and we reorganized desks in the classroom. Also, we made a individual picture schedule for a student. Touching moment: Mirna, a girl with Cerebral Palsy, got to take a bath in the J chair that we dropped off yesterday; she truly enjoyed it. We were very sad to leave all of our students; however, we are glad we got to have the experiences. Even though this was the first year that a group was able to visit the New Life School, we have many ideas for the future Xavier groups. We hope they continue going to this site.

Julia Millburg, OT Student and Anne Gibbons, OT
Giving a shout out to Joe, Darren, Gus, and Ben!!! :)
anndddddd Lauren B!

No comments:

Post a Comment